Who we are?
The Faculty of Sport and Exercise Medicine (FSEM) UK launched in 2006 and is the governing body for the specialty Sport and Exercise Medicine (SEM) in the UK.
The FSEM (UK) also represents and supports Sport and Exercise Medicine as a cost effective approach to the prevention and management of illness and injury.
The Faculty’s work includes:
- Setting and maintaining standards of excellence in SEM
- Overseeing the curriculum for Higher Specialty Training.
- Setting standards in educational and training requirements
- Overseeing the FSEM Membership Exam in Sport and Exercise Medicine
- Setting standards in examination, assessment and appraisal of SEM doctors
- Demonstrating the need for specialists, subspecialists and the application of SEM in the NHS
- Progressing career pathways for doctors by offering guidance and support
- Demonstrating the positive benefits to public health of physical activity in the prevention and management of disease
- Influencing policy and engaging with the governments, organisations and the wider public on behalf of its membership
The Faculty also welcomes SEM Registrars and medical students with an interest through Associate Membership.
The Faculty has over 560 Members and Fellows, not including medical students. There are currently 114 Sport and Exercise Medicine Consultants on the GMC Specialist Register