Sport and Exercise Medicine Consultant
Connect Physical Health has an exciting new opportunity to join the team.
Sport and Exercise Medicine Consultant – Full Time
Salary – NHS Consultant Pay Scale Threshold 1 -2 £75,249 – £77,605
Here at Connect Physical Health our aim is to be the No.1 quality MSK provider in the UK.
We embrace a fresh approach to delivering excellence in all aspects of patient care and this includes expanding our provision of Sport and Exercise Medicine in the North East.
We believe SEM has a new and key role to play in helping the public overcome a whole range of muscular and joint injuries, both new and chronic.
Connect Physical Health is based in the North-East of England but has contracts and clinics across the UK serving the NHS, Occupational Health and the private market. Connect is well established having been formed in 1989 and has provided services to the NHS since 1993.
Initially a predominantly physiotherapy orientated company, since the publication of the MSK Framework document in 2006 Connect has had an eye on the future and has invested in the multi-disciplinary approach which has now paid dividends in terms of new work. Community MSK Services (NHS division) has become a core part of the business with SEM Consultants at the centre of the pathway. Work in private clinics for SEM is increasing in parallel.
Connect maintains a reputation for working with local sports clubs and Universities so opportunities in sports medicine provision have long been part of Connects business. In addition, Connect is aware of the need for exercise medicine in the future for public health and is currently working on innovative pathways with GP Commissioning Groups.
With a reputation for high quality services provided by fully trained and supported staff, Connect tries to stay ahead of the game to ensure growth and development as a business and for its staff. Innovation has been key for this and the company is currently going through a full ‘service re-design’ process to ensure service provision is fit to meet the markets i.e. the NHS, Clinics and Occupational Health. Staff feedback on how we are doing is excellent and with 200 employees and many partnerships with NHS Foundation Trusts, the company is well on its way to the aim to be “the UK’s number one quality MSK provider “.
Joining an innovative team and reporting to the Clinical Lead this role will give you the opportunity to influence our strategic approach to SEM. You’ll work alongside excellent physiotherapists, podiatrists and rehabilitation specialists in the community and in our private clinics.
The role entails:
- Providing expert musculoskeletal assessment, diagnosis and treatment
- Diagnostic Musculoskeletal Ultrasound service with interventional procedures
- Management support, clinical leadership and clinical input across our N/E Community Services contracts and clinics
- Leading and contributing to education of community MSK clinicians and GPs
- Providing clinical governance and audit support
- Contributing to SEM research
- Work in in our NHS Community Services as a Musculoskeletal Physician and in our private SEM clinics with non-clinical time for admin and development
- Option to use sessions for work in Sport with a team
The successful applicant:
- Full registration with the GMC
- Specialist Register for SEM (or due within 6 months)
- A Diploma or MSc in Sport and Exercise Medicine
- Experience in MSK Ultrasound
- Willingness to develop SEM in the role and to develop personally
Working for Connect
Our aim is to give you the opportunity to further develop your skills in a supportive, dynamic and varied environment. On offer is;
- Working for an organisation that is at an exciting stage of development in musculoskeletal healthcare
- To work in an environment where SEM is respected and there is a desire to ensure that SEM Consultants play a key role in NHS service provision
- A post where you can consolidate and further develop your musculoskeletal skills with support from experienced clinicians
- 1:1 Mentorship by Dr Graeme Wilkes, our nationally respected and experienced SEM Consultant
- Clinical supervision, performance review and mentorship with a commitment to your further development to be able to confidently handle any SEM roles in the future
- Opportunities to influence and develop roles in sport and in exercise medicine
- A contributory pension scheme
- Generous holidays – starting at 27 days/year plus 8 days bank holidays
- Paid Study Leave and support with fees – up to 10 days a year
- Working with a forward looking, dedicated and motivated team of professionals, who are all committed to ensuring Connect is a Quality Provider in the new commercial world of healthcare.
The North East has a whole host of professional opportunities, currently there are only two SEM’s in the region, so you’ll have a unique opportunity to develop your skills. There are also many high performing sports clubs and teams and plenty of outdoor pursuits available, not least exploring the stunning Northumbria coastline.
If you would like to find out more about this opportunity you can contact Dr Graeme Wilkes via email firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing Date 23rd January 2014
Applicants must have the right to live and work in the UK. Contribution to relocation expenses will be considered.
News Released by Connect Physical Health – Passionate about improving lives.