Office Team Sign up for Fit in ‘14
The Scottish Government is encouraging the country’s workforces to take small, simple steps towards being more physically active and the Faculty of Sport and Exercise Medicine staff at HQ Edinburgh are joining in.
Inspired by Glasgow 2014 Commonwealth Games, Fit in ‘14 is all about sitting less and moving more in the workplace. The FSEM Office Team will be making a physical activity pledge on the 25th April to increase activity and reduce their risk of heart disease and type 2 diabetes by 50%. The team has already been incorporating more standing up in the office by using the standapp.biz in preparation for ‘Stand up Tuesday’.
As part of Fit in ’14, the Office Team will be taking part in Physical Activity Awareness Week (21st – 27th April) where the team will be given the chance to try out different ways of getting active before make a pledge at the end of the week.
- Warm up Monday – Get warming up, stretching properly and planning the week ahead. Watch this video for plenty of stretching tips
- Stand up Tuesday – On Tuesday, we’re getting out of our seats and standing more. Go to standapp.biz to download the stand app. It’ll have you out of your seat in no time
- Walking Wednesday – Make Wednesday a walking one. On this day, we’re asking you to walk to work, or part of the way. Or simply go for a walk at lunchtime. The office team are planning a lunchtime walk around Edinburgh
- Trial Thursday – Try something new today. It could be Pilates, Yoga or even Tai Chi
- Fresh Air Friday – And breathe…it’s Fresh Air Friday! Staff will be thinking about how they can get out in the fresh air for a while, maybe holding that meeting outside.
Saturday & Sunday – The team will keep their activities going over the weekend, which will go towards their group steps goal on worldwalking.org The more ambitious in the team will also tackle their first Munro as part of the training for the Royal College of Surgeons Munro charity challenge, to raise money for Alzheimer Scotland.
Together the team will make a pledge on Friday 25th April to get Fit in ’14 and commit to sitting less and moving more around the office. Go to fitin14.org/pledge to make your organisation pledge.
The Office Team also visited the Institute of Sport Exercise and Health in London last month to get some cutting edge inspiration for an office space that enables more moving. The walking desk and the gym ball meeting seats, shown in these pictures, were clear winners!