GMC Specialist Register


Specialist Register

We host a public list of SEM specialists on the GMC register found here. Fellows can opt-in to appear on this list as soon as they gain entry.

How to Apply

There are three ways for Sport and Exercise Medicine practitioners to gain a CESR:

  1. A Certificate of Completion of Training (CCT) following the FSEM’s training pathway (link).
  2. CP CESR if you complete a shortened programme because of prior experience e.g. those who entered SEM training after completion of GP training.  (You cannot hold a CCT in two separate medical specialties.)
  3. The standard CESR route is open to those who are not on an official training programme, but who apply for inclusion on the specialist register by virtue of their previous qualifications, training and experience.

Sport and Exercise Medicine Doctors can apply for direct entry to the GMC Specialist Register via a CESR (Certificate Confirming Eligibility for Specialist Registration) application when their training, qualifications, skills and experience are at the required level.

Doctors working overseas are advised to contact the GMC directly in the first instance.


The requirements for a Sport and Exercise Medicine (SEM) CESR application are based on:

Doctors completing Higher Specialty Training and gaining a Certificate of Completion of Training (CCT) in Sport and Exercise Medicine

Doctors who are able to match their skills and experience to the current SEM curriculum used to define the programme for UK specialist training leading to the award of a CCT in Sport and Exercise Medicine.


The following guidance is provided to aid applicants in matching the evidence supplied in their application against the curriculum for Sport and Exercise Medicine.

It is not exhaustive and applicants are strongly advised to seek further guidance from the JRCPTB Equivalence Team (link) and others who have been through the application process.

CESR Guidance for the Sport and Exercise Medicine Physician

Joint Royal Colleges of Physicians Training Board (JRCPTB)