A-For better or worse, Covid has changed Sports Medicine
B- Words matter: Making the case for “non-surgical management” rather than “conservative treatment”
- Undergraduates (medical, physiotherapy, allied healthcare professionals)
- Recently graduated (within 2 years foundations doctors/equivalence)
- Applicants must be enrolled on a healthcare course at university in either England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland, or the Republic of Ireland on the closing date or have graduated within 2 years of the closing date. E.g. For the 2021 competition graduation date not before 1st Jan 2019.
The successful applicant will benefit from the following:
- £100 prize money
- A free one-day conference ticket (specifics to be clarified after awarded)
- Mentorship from an FSEM recommended individual in good academic standing to support the winner with the aim of publishing this piece of work in a SEM journal as an editorial/opinion piece.
Please email your submission to firstname.lastname@example.org by 31st December 2021
In the body of the email please state the following:
- Full Name
- University course and year of study/date of graduation
- Undergraduate or recent graduate status
- Employer (if graduated)
- Contact details (email and mobile)
(PLEASE DO NOT INCLUDE THE ABOVE INFORMATION IN THE SUBMISSION FILE)
Please attach your Essay in a word document/PDF +/- additional JPEG File (see below). and ensure the files do not contain your name, or any other identifiable information.
Guidelines and Requirements:
- Please submit times new roman, font size 12, approx. ∼800 words (excluding title and references) max word count: 1000.
- The essay should be in the style of a journal editorial piece.
- Pictures and imagery should be submitted within the document and additionally as a separate file ideally in JPG. Please ensure that permission for use has been granted for any figures, tables or images that will be accompanying the article. Tables and pictures should be given separately but quoted in the article with reference as Table 1 or Image 3 etc. Total maximum of 3. Using figures, tables, images is not essential.
- Quotes should be identified within , please put them in italics.
- References Vancouver and as an ordered bullet point list.
- Keep the title short and succinct to attract the readers (max two lines Size 12 font).
- Sub-headings are recommended.
- File: Word document or PDF, DO NOT INCLUDE ANY IDENTIFIABLE INFORMATION within the submission document, include total word count at the end.
- For specific marking criteria see the mark scheme crib sheet in the attached PDF.
- All markers will not know any of the personal information regarding the author at the time of marking, hence we require submissions easily anonymised. All submissions will be marked by at least two markers.
Organised by the Faculty of Sport and Exercise Medicine and the Undergraduate Sports and Exercise Medicine Society